Friday 16 March 2012

Waxed Paper fun.

Aren't I doing well!! Another blog post, but to be fair there is so much going on at the moment I don't have any excuse not to update this blog!

Following on from the last post I now have completed another couple of cards with the waxed paper technique and I am loving it more each time! The ingredients you need to complete the technique are distress inks or similar, mask, super smooth paper (I always get great results with our stamp and colour card) and shock horror an iron (don't panic no housework is involved!!) finally you need waxed paper, I get mine from a soap making supplier, you just have to make sure you get proper wax and not wax effect, some nice artisan breads and sausages come wrapped in it, so doesn't hurt to ask your local friendly butcher if he can spare a sheet!.

So to begin, simply emboss the waxed paper with the mask, through your big shot, grand Calibur, cuttlebug etc. Don't panic if the paper tears slightly round the embossing it won't effect the over all results. Now sandwich the waxed paper between 2 pieces of the smooth card/paper. And iron, once over with a hot iron is enough, if you keep going over you can lose the design a bit, if you are using thicker card, go over twice just to make sure the heat has got through. Now simply rub over the waxed design with your distress inks and watch the batik style design appear! Simple but stunning and unusual results. You can ink both pieces of card and you will get different effect. Give it a go it!


It is a busy week this week with the NEC HobbyCrafts show starting Thursday and I will be demonstrating all 4 days so if you are passing pop by and say hello.


See you soon


Ali xx

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this. I'm seriously leaning towards the Steampunk themes personally.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cards and techniques thanks for all the inspiration have been dabbling in steampunk for a while now taking it to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Ali I just love all of your techniques. Keep up the good works

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali. What a great technique, must have a go at this.

    I saw you at the NEC on Friday and bought four of the masks (my first). I would love it if you'd be able to do a tutorial on the PVA and polyfilla technique you used on one of your card samples. I was really impressed with this (as well as the vaseline technique). Thank you. April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali this is a fab card I love that waxed paper , well done Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ali and all her followers, I have just tried this using a warburtons toastie bread wrapper and it works great! I thought the orange side with the logo might transfer ink so did that on a piece of super smooth card that had the wrong thing printed on one side, the white side I ironed onto glossy stamping card. The orange colour hardly transfered at all and blended into the inks I distressed with so I have two pieces of lovely background paper courtesy of the baker! It's almost worth paying more for bread when the wrappers are useful!

    Happy crafting
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete